Monday, February 23, 2009

Learning Curve

I am a week out from being able to eat again and last night I had a "test" run. Now, I am not the type who has to make everyone around me suffer because of what I am going through. I am on a liquid diet but that does not mean that I can't enjoy the time I have with friends when there is food involved. Honestly, having someone eat food while I am sitting there drinking soup broth doesn't bother me. So, last night Lisa and I went to dinner with another couple that I hope we become really close friends with. Where did we go? To the restaurant that is the epitome of portion control, Claim Jumpers! I ordered a cup of chicken tortia soup, broth only. It was thick and it was yummy. As I was eating I realized that I was about half way done with the cup and I was not filling full. "That was odd" I thought, "I should be filling full" and as I sat there thinking about it I realized that I had been so involved with the conversation that I was eating to fast. Any food addict knows that if you want to eat a lot of something that taste good you eat fast because you can get more in before your stuffed, that's how I normally ate. Sitting at the table I made a decision, I wasn't going to eat anymore and boy let me tell you, I am glad I did. I put my napkin over the cup and pushed it away and about 2 minutes later it hit me, I was stuffed, seriously full. Lisa and I talked about it on the way home. I am going to have to really think about how I am eating when I am eating in able to form new eating habits. With the band you have to chew your food really good or your food can get stuck, not good I am told. You have to eat slowly and make sure you don't eat to much. Last night was a great reminder for me that I have a large learning curve ahead and that I still have some major changes to make. One last note, I finally broke 330!!! I hit the scale at 329 this morning, it's going to be a good day!

1 comment:

  1. That is so true, eating slow is so important for losing weight and keeping weight off. Eating slow and small portions. Thank you for keeping us all informed on your progress and thoughts, struggles and victories. You are a inspiration to me.
    Love you Mom.

    ReplyDelete

Your encouraging words mean the world to me. Thank you for sharing your heart. ~ Pat