Thursday, February 5, 2009

I can’t tie my left shoe!!!

Serious, I can tie my right shoe but I can’t tie the left one. Even though I am doing great I feel like I have been in a knife fight. I have seven incisions across my upper belly that have to heal so I have been learning my range of motion, I can bend to the right but not to the left. I think we take for granted just how much we use our abdominal muscles. This has been an amazing journey so far, physically, mentally and spiritually. Those of you who know me know that I am a man of faith and I want to share all the different ways I have seen God working in the circumstances. I want you to see how your prayers have been answered. So here we go;
1. I started a liquid diet two weeks before the surgery and only once did I struggle with hunger and the one time I did showed me just how much my emotions are tied to my eating.
2. The surgery was scheduled for an 11:30 AM check in time with surgery happening at about 1:30 PM. It was my only anxiety, I had been using the protein drink and water to help curve the appetite. You can have nothing to drink at all after mid-night the night before. I was worried I was going to get hungry. The day before surgery the doctors office called and asked if I wouldn’t mind changing my check-in time to 5:30 AM with the surgery happening at about 7:30.
3. Every procedure done at the hospital, from the EDG the surgery and recover had a nurse who was the wife or sister of people I work with in Kent and Maple Valley. This meant that I was more than just a patient I was family. One of these nurses came up to my room latter and told me that my surgery was absolutely text book perfect.
4. I hate needles!!! They had to reset my IV after surgery. They couldn’t find a vein, it took three nurses who tried two times each, another nurse who decided I had been poked enough, couldn’t find a vein and didn’t try (Thank God!!!). A doctor had to come in and put it in. They called me the human pin cushion. The miracle in all of this, I was totally cool with and had fun teasing the nurses as they poked me full of holes.
5. The nurse came in and said it was time for my pain medication. I asked if I had to take it because I didn’t have any pain. She didn’t believe me at first but I will say I have not yet taken any pain meds because I have not had any pain.
6. I was supposed to be released from the hospital sometime in the morning the next day. They discharged me that night, 12 to 14 hours early because I was recovering so well.
There is a lot more but this is getting long so I am going to do a part two tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your encouraging words mean the world to me. Thank you for sharing your heart. ~ Pat