Saturday, January 31, 2009

Food and Emotions

I am an emotional eater. Emotions are the force behind what we feel. First we have the thought or perception of a situation, then emotion follows as an expression of what is being internalized. If I feel sad my emotions can range from facial expressions, such as a frown, to crying. If I feel happy my emotions can range from a facial expression, such as a smile, to crying. It is our emotions that allow us to create. So emotion is a verb, it is the action of what is being felt inside. All of us have a base line that we call normal. It is different for each of us but this base line is where we are at emotionally at any given time when we feel whatever normal is for you. Throughout our day we will emotionally move around this baseline depending upon what it is that we are internalizing about our perception of the situation. The higher the anxiety we feel, the more expressive our emotions can become. Somehow, for some of us, there is a link between our emotional reaction and hunger, the feeling that I need food. I know that there is a reason that they call it “comfort” food. When I am in a high state of emotion I become very hunger and the craving is for something high in fat and calories, a cheeseburger fits the bill perfectly. Yesterday something happened to me that cause a high state of anxiety and emotional sadness. It was the very first time since I started fasting that I was truly hungry. So much so that I had to go into the garage away from everyone to gain control of this experience. I know I could not eat, I would not eat, but “Oh my GOD!” and not the expression, that was a prayer! I am not sure what the answer is and I would like to hear your thoughts about this. As I perceived through the hunger, drank water, and utilized some of the stress management techniques I teach my firefighters and police officers I was able bring myself around. But it was so hard, I want to eat so I could feel better. So tell me what you think, if you do this, what have you done to deal with it? Let’s see if we can help each other out.

5 comments:

  1. When I cry (like I did yesterday morning) I mend my heart with a long drive, a cup of coffee (leave room for 1/2~n~1/2) and a warm apple fritter. It's a bandaid! Where's the victory and overcoming in that?! It takes God working in us to overcome the easy way out! We fall, God picks up! We fail, God gives us another chance. But all in all, we are his bride and he is more interested in our hearts than we are in our body (Thank God!). Whatever we make a god in our lives (food, money, jobs, houses, friends) will ultimately keep us just short of his true revelation of us. Bandaids are okay sometimes but an open wound is easier for God to heal. You know what I mean. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what Susan said and Pat you are amazing and I believe that you have won this battle by declaring your weakness. You will overcome by the hand of God and His love for you! I know for me I have been declaring that I am not a glutton every morning when I wake up and when I go to sleep. And Doug and I have changed our eating habits. Which has been huge. I am so proud of you!!! Thank you for sharing your heart and what God is showing you so that we can all be a support to one another! The joy of the Lord is your strength! Love and Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what you did was awesome Pat. You removed yourself, cried out to God and soldiered through. I don't know what the answer is going forward, but hang in there. Eventually the strong urges will lessen and you will find what will ease your anxiety. Maybe that will simply be prayer. Maybe a big glass of water, maybe a quiet moment. I don't know. But, I will continue to pray for you and I know that you can overcome this and have victory in this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God heard your prayer as you cried out to him in your time of need, you overcame the temptation to eat. Emotions become such a hugh role in our everyday life you made the choice to remove yourself and get control of the situation, you made the right choice. You are awesome and are truly living the journey.
    Love Ya Mom

    ReplyDelete

Your encouraging words mean the world to me. Thank you for sharing your heart. ~ Pat