Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Struggle

Well, I saw my Dr. on Monday and this past month I lost no weight. I can't say that I am disappointed because I was kind of expecting it. I have all the great excuses, a week of vacation, a week of teaching a 40 hour class, missed several days of exercise, totally off my routine and schedule. Good excuses and they all work but still excuses none the less. The real reason is that I am really struggling with old habits and bad eating. I had to laugh... and cry..., I was bragging to Lisa that I had not had any teriyaki in a few weeks and what do I eat that very night??? Teriyaki!!! Dang it!!! That stuff is so full of sodium and not good for you. I really am struggling. An alcoholic can stay away from alcohol but a food-alcoholic has to eat, it sucks and my discipline has been weak. I know what I have to do, smaller portion sizes, no late snacking, start lifting weights and not just get a cardio work out. If I make these changes I will break through into the 230's, I am so darn close. I have been bouncing between 241 and 246 this past month, up and down, up and down. This time it is not a plateau but a matter of discipline and work. I have to count my calories, which is something I have stopped doing, track what I am eating and cut my portions. I am eating until I am stuff, not just full. It is so strange still to eat such a small portion and feel full. My brain tells me to keep eating. I have to stop listening to it!
Ok. This is a new month, the past is behind me and the day is ahead. Jesus said don't worry about tomorrow because today has enough problems of its own. So, today, I will count my calories. Today, I will watch my portions. Today, I already meet with Ted Cook who is going to start lifting weights with me starting Friday. Today, we put our plan into place and set up our new work out. Today, I will eat but I will not be controlled by what I eat. I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Pat, you are so great! You may struggle a little with discouragment, but really, you have come so far. And, this is not the end! You may have had a small bump in the road, but your life is so much better off now. You are a different man and the things that Jesus has done in you are real and unchangable. You said it ... get back up on the horse. The first step is honesty (with you, and with God) and the next step is doing it ... not just saying it. And, I know you'll do it, because you have such great people around you. At the same time, be prepared, the holidays are coming. I'm sure you know that already. :-) Keep up the good work! God bless you in this endeavor! You are such an inspiration and you ar not a failure! Love you man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote that we can do all things through Christ who strenghtens us is so important to grasp as you have. Belive it with your entire being and you will conquer any mountain that trys to stand in your way of sucess. I know you will make it.
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do this. One day at a time. You have to remember that it's not a diet. It's a LIFEstyle. Do your weights, do your cardio, get the junk food out of the house. Try not drinking with meals or for 30 minutes after. That's something that helps gastric bypass patients. If you drink, it's like putting food in the blender and adding water. You turn it into a slurry and it goes through easier. Then, you can eat more and you don't feel full. Nix the drinking with meals. Oh, and no soda. Nada. ;-)

    Check out this link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADKoF6_Hehw

    ReplyDelete

Your encouraging words mean the world to me. Thank you for sharing your heart. ~ Pat